UW-Madison Babcock Dairy Store · Communications Specialist · June 2023 – Present
- Create goals for strategic communication content based on reach and effectiveness of campaigns.
- Plan, create and publish editorial content on the website and all social media platforms according to established goals and university communications guidelines.
- Design, order and stock store merchandise.
- Update product information and stock on the Babcock Dairy Store website.
- Manage and update Babcock Hall Dairy Plant website.
- Communicate with stakeholders and workers to receive feedback on store efforts.
- Increased interactions on Instagram by over 100% and impressions by nearly 75% in 60 days.
- Increased engagement on Facebook by over 120% in 60 days.
UW-Madison School of Journalism and Strategic Communication · Communications Intern · Jan. 2023 – May 2023
- Designed flyers, advertisements, slide decks and more, following UW-Madison branding guidelines and responding to feedback from colleagues.
- Wrote multiple articles per week about student and staff achievements in the UW SJMC, including interviews from multiple staff members and students.
- Coordinated social media posts every week for summer term courses and Day of the Badger fundraising efforts.
The Badger Herald · Managing Editor · Sept. 2021 – May 2023
- Edited over one-third of content published online and in print on strict deadlines.
- Personally designed print editions on a monthly basis and sent them to print.
- Designed layouts, infographics, staff posters, advertisements and more weekly.
- Managed a staff of over 200 editors, associate editors and reporters.
- Saw the production process through on a daily and weekly basis.
- Served on the board of directors, took part in financial decisions, fundraised and communicated with the Alumni Foundation.
- Worked closely with departments across The Badger Herald to coordinate engaging content including the newsletter, the podcast, graphics, photos, features and other daily content.
- Previously served as a science news associate, science news reporter and copy editor.
Ballotpedia, Quality Team · Editorial Intern · June 2022 – Nov. 2022
- Edited articles to remove bias, correct style errors and fact check.
- Worked independently on daily sweeps of content to correct errors across the website.
- Coded web pages in HTML, learned to navigate the database and utilized Asana.
- Communicated with supervisors virtually via Slack and Google Meets.
- Returned to edit midterm election content.
Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction · Communications Specialist · May 2021 – Dec. 2021
- Worked independently as the only communications liaison for the Data Warehouse and Decision Support Team to create and revise training documentation, translating difficult data concepts to layperson terms.
- Reviewed writing to be published, created and edited web pages using Drupal and followed Scrum team format.
Organized and led meetings for communications.
Wisconsin Governor’s Office · Proclamations Intern · June 2021 – Aug. 2021
- Authored proclamations and certificates of commendation on behalf of Governor Tony Evers.
- Reviewed and revised proclamations to be published and printed.
- Signed and sealed documents for constituents.
The Dish Wisconsin · Community Editor · Sept. 2020 – May 2022
- Edited half of each magazine’s content, brainstormed article and publication concepts, wrote articles and took photos.
- Previously served as a writer.
tommysweeney.com · Intern · Dec. 2018 – June 2020
- Captured images with DSLR cameras and used Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop.
- Managed photo collections and organized and maintained portfolios.
- Attended client networking events to market large-scale commercial projects.
University of Wisconsin – Madison · Journalism and Strategic Communication, B.A. · May 2023
Received Environmental Studies Certificate, earning 3.94 cumulative GPA.
The New York Times Summer Academy · Food Culture, Creative Writing and Pop Music · July 2019
Attended and studied Food Culture, Creative Writing and Pop Music courses, learned from professionals in the industry and completed final projects to improve writing abilities.
Whitewater High School · High School Diploma · May 2020
Graduated Valedictorian after earning a 4.0 GPA and taking college-level and AP courses. Participated in athletics and student leadership.
Adobe Creative Suite
Meta Business Suite
Social Media Marketing
James L. Baughman Senior Achievement Award (2023)
Jerome David Ambelang Undergraduate Scholarship Fund Award (2023)
Journal Foundation Walter Jay and Clara Charlotte Damm Scholarship (2022)
Wisconsin Academic Excellence Scholarship (2020)
Future Business Leaders of America Scholarship Award (2020)
Bob and Jill Freiermuth Key To Business Award (2020)
Dr. Patrick & Mary Ann Brooks Memorial Award (2020)
Malcolm C. Davison Music Award (2020)
Melissa Patrick Memorial Award (2020)
Whitewater High School Valedictorian (2020)
FBLA Regionals Public Speaking, First Place (2017, 2018, 2019)